Sunday, January 17, 2010

Knit Together

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. -Psalm 139:13-14

I recently was overwhelmed with awe for my Savior as I read Psalm 139 and meditated on the thought of Him knitting me together!  The thought of a Divine hand weaving my soul together with a unique pattern and design.  And, I wonder why I can doubt so much and why I can go into so much self-contempt!?  What happens to us as we leave the womb and enter the world?  A fallen world that bombards us with lies every day.  So, as I am working on my own knitting project, I pray.  I pray that God would show me His pattern for my life and set me on a course of TRULY knowing He took great care in designing me!

It's amazing to think about the Creator of the universe sitting down to knit me together!  I think about my knitting projects and the excitement in choosing the thread, the pattern, the weave, the design, etc.  Did God Himself get excited about going and choosing the thread for my life?  Wow!  That's hard to believe, but as much as He loves us, I bet He did!  Every aspect of the creation(us) exciting a designer that was SO pleased and happy with His design!  The God of the universe sitting down to knit!!!  I imagine Him being so patient as He brings about the perfect color, pattern, design and order that gives the final project it's beauty!

In the past, it has been so easy for me to be amazed by God's creation of land and nature because I've been so attracted to the outdoors!  I love being in His mountains and seeing His overwhelming Majesty!  The beautiful lakes, streams and wild flowers that line the mountains and the sight of a hawk soaring above a meadow that completes His perfect canvas!  In the mountains I can truly SEE His handiwork and KNOW He is an artist!

So, to think about God as an artist in creating me?  Wow!  I have to admit, not something that I have pondered and grasped as much as I have lately.  I believe I've been able to SEE others, but in the sense of seeing their hearts and the GOOD in them!  So, looking at others as God's art is amazing to think about!  I wonder if that is some of what the band Jars of Clay were thinking when they wrote the song, "Art in me"?  Here are some of the lyrics:
In your picture book I'm trying hard to see
Turning endless pages of this tragedy
Sculpting every move you compose a symphony
You plead to everyone, "see the art in me"

So, can I see the art in me?  In others?  Can we see the art in each other?  I sure hope so!  And, I hope we can learn to see it better and better as we encounter one another in community!  For I also believe God has intertwined our lives together by His Spirit.  We ARE one!  Designed to be one in Him!  What a beautiful thing to think about!

Right now, I think God might even be repairing and carefully picking up some "dropped stitches" of my life!  I know when I drop stitches in my own knitting projects, I often go running to friends who can help me fix it.  Sometimes, yes, I am able to fix the error myself, but I am so happy to have friends who can help me when I can't.

So, as I have pondered these things about knitting and God as a knitter...well, I pray we all would see the beautiful design that He has created in ourselves and in others.  I pray we would allow God through our community to pick up dropped stitches and truly SEE each other as His perfect creation!  SEE it Beloved, His creative expression is in all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment